E-mail Sent to Rochester Public Schools Families Indicating Bothum Was a Volunteer in the District
Just after 5 pm Tuesday Rochester Public Schools Superintendent, Michael Muñoz, sent out the following e-mail to all families that are in their Skyward system:
Dear Rochester Public School Families,
The district is aware of a pending criminal matter involving Mr. Wayne Bothun. We do not have any information that would lead us to believe that any RPS students are impacted.
Here is what we know:
- Our records show that this individual has been a previous Volunteer in Education (ViE) at RPS from October 3 - November 28, 2016 at Sunset Terrace Elementary.
- Our records show that the background check of this individual passed.
- We have also learned this individual was employed by a charter bus company that Rochester Public Schools has contracted with in the past (Minnesota Charter). This individual has transported RPS students via the charter service for extra-curricular activities.
- This person has never been employed with Rochester Public Schools.
- We will continue to work with law enforcement on this matter as we are learning more information.
- We have sent this message to all email addresses listed within Skyward Student Managment System.
Although this individual was not employed by the school district, contact with children in the school district was still available due to them being allowed to volunteer.
This is not the first time that Rochester Public School families have been notified of criminal misconduct in the district. Last Fall, communication was sent out to families in the district regarding another individual, 29-year-old Nicholas Keller of Stewartville, who was employed as a teacher in the district’s School Aged Child Care (SACC) program. He was charged with molesting a female student at Sunset Terrace. You can read that story here.
Keep the music and information flowing with the FREE Power 96 App!