Faribault Boys Hockey Falls to Mankato East and Area Scores
The Faribault Falcons boys hockey team traveled to All Seasons Arena in Mankato Thursday night for a Big 9 contest against Class A #17 ranked Mankato East. The Cougars controlled the puck in a 4-1 win. There are no shots on goal numbers on the scoreboard in Mankato so I have to try to keep track of that statistic. It was explained to me many years ago shots on goal means exactly what it says. The shots must be on goal. I get the sense the scorekeeper in Mankato, for the home team anyway, counted all shots.
I say that because the official score sheet had Mankato East with 50 shots on goal. I had 32 shots on goal and while that figure may be off, I don't believe as good as Faribault's goalie was during the game that he had 46 saves. Falcon junior goalie Spencer Ell was named one of our Faribault State Farm Insurance agents Faribault players of the game because he kept his team in the game. It was 2-1 heading to the final period.
My unofficial tally for shots on goal after two periods was Mankato East 21 and Faribault 8. The game sheet numbers were 31 shots on goal for Mankato East and 6 for Faribault. The game sheet total for Faribault was 11. I had 13 total shots on goal.
Our other Faribault State Farm Insurance agents Faribault players of the game were junior Leighton Weasler and sophomore Zach Siegert who combined to put the Falcons only goal on the board 1:27 into the game. Weasler scored his 5th goal of the season and Siegert collected his first assist of the year. Siegert made a nice pass from behind the Mankato East net to Weasler who buried the puck to give the Falcons their only lead of the game.
Exactly 30 seconds later sophomore Brett Borchardt answered with his 6th goal of the year, assisted by junior Matthew Salzie and senior Adam Megard. Salzie's 12th assist and Megard's 3rd.
Salzie would score his 7th goal of the season at 12:08 mark assisted by Megard (4) and sophomore Hayden Guillemette (4). There would be no scoring in the second period.
5:43 into the final period Salzie netted his 8th goal of the year assisted by seniors Parker Steindl (13) and Jacob Rundle (1).
With 2:25 to go in the game the Cougars scored their 6th shorthanded goal of the season when senior Sam Schulz collected his 18th goal unassisted.
Junior JD Kragh was between the pipes for Mankato East. Kragh picked up his 5th win of the season while stopping 10 shots according to the game sheet. Spencer Ell fell to 3-3-1.
The Cougars improve to 4-2 in the Big 9, 9-6-1 overall. Faribault is now 3-5-1 in league action and 9-6-1 overall.
The Falcons travel to Rochester to play Century Tuesday at 7:15 p.m. Mankato East is in Rochester Saturday at 7:15 p.m. to face John Marshall.
In other boys hockey Thursday night:
- Owatonna 6 Rochester John Marshall 0
- Rochester Mayo 5 Northfield 2
- Minnesota River 6 New Ulm 4
- Mankato West 6 Red Wing 1
- Rochester Century 9 Austin 2
- Holy Angels Academy 2 Farmington 1 (OT)
- Hopkins 6 Rochester Lourdes 1
Girls hockey Thursday:
- Northfield 10 Rochester Mayo 0 (Spartans had 4 SOG, Northfield 34)
- Austin 6 Rochester Century 3
- Owatonna 6 Rochester John Marshall 2
- Mankato West 5 Red Wing 0
- Minnesota River 5 Fairmont 2
- Burnsville 7 Rosemount 2
- Eastview 6 Lakeville North 4
- Farmington 3 Lakeville South 0
- Eagan 9 Prior Lake 1
- Shakopee 2 Apple Valley 0
Area boys basketball Thursday:
- Medford 44 Kenyon-Wanamingo 41 (OT)
- Blooming Prairie 60 Maple RIver 45
- Lake City 74 Rochester Lourdes 58 (Nathan Heise 29 points, Reid Gastner 19 for Lake City)
- Hayfield 75 NRHEG 59
- Hudson, Wi. 66 Kasson-Mantorville 37
- Caledonia 94 Winona Cotter 26
- Spring Grove 74 Houston 47
- Shakopee 85 Rosemount 47
- Schaeffer Academy 77 Leroy-Ostrander 57
- Kingsland 54 Lanesboro 47
- Grand Meadow 74 Glenville-Emmons 41
- Dover-Eyota 61 Byron 45
- CHOF 52 Pine Island 46
- New Prague 51 Delano 49
Area girls basketball Thursday:
- Medford 68 Hayfield 59 (Medford remains undefeated)
- Red Wing 59 Northfield 49
- Tri-City United 61 Mayer Lutheran 50
- Stewartville 70 Kenyon-Wanamingo 39
- Waterville-Elysian-Morristown 65 Bethlehem Academy 36
- Pine Island 65 CHOF 60
- Plainview-Elgin-Millville 65 Byron 61
- Norwood-Young America 80 LeSueur-Henderson 47
- Southwest Christian 44 Sibley East 34
- Lyle/Pacelli 48 Lanesboro 24
- Caledonia 57 Winona Cotter 53
- Lewiston-Altura 55 Onalaska Luther. Wi. 54
Wrestling action from Thursday:
- Faribault 62 Rochester John Marshall 18
- Faribault 48 NRHEG 25
- Faribault 38 St. Charles 36
- Kasson-Mantorville 56 Zumbrota-Mazeppa 6
- Kenyon-Wanamingo 69 Triton 6 (7 Triton forfeits)
- Stewartville 48 Triton 30
- Albert Lea 60 Rochester Century 6
- Cannon Falls 61 Pine Island 15
- Goodhue 31 Plainview-Elgin-Millville 29
- Goodhue 49 Chatfield 24
- Plainview-Elgin-Millville 42 Chatfield 30
- Mankato West 42 Rochester Century 30