Faribault Wrestlers 20th at Rumble on the Red
There were 84 varsity high school teams at the Rumble on the Red in the Fargodome Thursday and Friday and the Faribault Falcons placed 20th.
Head Coach Jesse Armbruster was happy with that showing, telling us at Faribault Interiors Saturday, "Getting to the podium in this tournament is a huge accomplishment."
Just one Falcon made it to the podium finishing in the top 8 of their weight class.
Austin Rendler placed third at 220 pounds.
Rendler placed second at the Minnesota State High School Wrestling Tournament last March and received a number two seed in the massive tournament with last year's Minnesota champion at #1.
Coach Armbruster said they were hoping for a re-match but Rendler, "ran out of gas."
"Austin knows he was gassed and the good thing about this is he knows he has to improve his conditioning and will."
Scott West had the top team score and Albert Lea Area was third. New Prague finished 16th, Meford 36th, Northfield 46th, Lakeville North 49th, Austin and Mankato East tied for 52nd and Byron was 57th.
Here are how some KDHL POWER 96 area wrestlers and Big NIne Conference athletes fared at the Rumble on the Red.
- 2nd Nick Novak- New Prague
- 7th Colby Dunkel- New Prague
- 4th Nic Cantu- Albert Lea Area
- 7th Maxwell Petersen- Byron
- 2nd Charlie Pickell- Mankato West
- 8th Blake Legred- United South Central
- 5th Jacob Johnsrud- Albert Lea Area
- 4th Willie Von Ruden- Medford
- 1st Jake Mandt- Chatfield
- 5th Josh Block- Mankato West
- 2nd Brody Nielsen- Albert Lea Area
- 8th Gaige Giles- New Prague
- 3rd Zach Glazier- Albert Lea Area
- 6th Brennan Rutt- New Prague
- 3rd Austin Rendler- Faribault
- 1st Zachary Jakes- Mankato West
- 5th Bryce Benhart- Lakeville North
There were 54 teams from Minnesota and 24 from North Dakota to lead the pack with teams from four other states also.
Twenty two wrestling mats covered the Fargodome floor with continuous wrestling.