Stewartville Volleyball Defeats Bethlehem Academy
The Stewartville Tigers didn't appear to be on their game tonight but they still came away with a 3-1 win over the Bethlehem Academy Cardinals in Faribault. The first set was there for the taking for BA but Stewartville won 25-22 despite having 7 service errors. The Cardinals had their share of errors in the set too, but service errors were not the problem. They had a variety of mistakes in a sport that magnifies your mistakes by giving your opponent a point for them. I counted 8 Cardinal errors in the first set. Hitting errors, setting errors, attack errors, double hits, you name it.
Faribault won the second set 25-23 with the set point awarded on a out of rotation call on Stewartville. 5'10 junior Haley Lang stepped up her game with six kills in the set and 5'9 freshman Ellie Cohen also had 6 kills in the set by my tally. 5'11 sophomore Kenndy Tutak added three kills and Abby Jandro collected two ace serves in the win.
The Tigers reeled off 25-18 and 25-16 wins in the next two sets led by 5'11 junior Kaitlyn Prodzinski and 6'2 sophomore Erin Lamb.
Lang and Cohen finished the night with 15 kills each, Jandro added 4 kills and 4 ace serves.
Cardinal senior libero Olivia Nass had 18 digs and picked up some scalding hits off the swings of Prodzinski and Lamb. Injured players Lexi Boyd and Jacie Jasinski were back playing for Bethlehem Academy and you could see their timing was off.
The Cardinals are 0-3 and travel to Waterville to face the Buccaneers Thursday in their Gopher Conference opener. They hope to extend their 137 match conference winning streak. I will broadcast that match on POWER 96 Radio, 95.9 FM. Download the POWER 96 app on your mobile device and tap the app for the easiest way to tune in in because there really isn't any tuning.
Stewartville is now 4-0 with wins over Big Nine schools Rochester John Marshall and Rochester Mayo and also Fillmore Central.
In other area volleyball tonight:
- Rochester Century swept Cannon Falls in the Hangar 25-18, 25-20, 25-18
- Eagan over Stillwater 25-21, 18-25, 25-14, 25-22
- Goodhue defeated Winona Cotter 27-25, 30-28, 21-25, 25-21
- Grand Meadow swept Glenville-Emmons 25-13, 27-25, 25-10
- Kasson-Mantorville over Eastview 25-14, 25-22, 25-17
- Lake City defeated Plainview-Elgin-Millville 25-21, 25-12, 25-12
- LeSueur-Henderson got by St. Peter 25-23, 25-17, 20-25, 25-16
- Lyle/Austin Pacelli swept Randolph 25-16, 25-22, 25-23
- Mabel-Canton over Kingsland 25-15, 25-20, 25-14
- New Prague upended Shakopee 26-24, 25-20, 10-25, 25-20
- New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva defeated Fairmont 25-9, 25-13, 25-14
- Spring Grove over Lanesboro 25-7, 25-17, 25-20
- Waconia swept Burnsville 25-21, 25-22, 32-30
- Triton defeated Waseca 17-25, 25-20, 26-24, 25-22
- Northfield bested Farmington 24-26, 25-12, 24-26, 25-18, 15-11
- Austin 3 Blooming Prairie 1
- Mankato West 3 Rochester Mayo 0
- United South Central 3 Janesville-Waldorf-Pemberton 2
- Tartan 3 Rosemount 1
- Clevland 3 Mountain Lake 1
- Leroy-Ostrander 3 Schaeffer Academy 1