Death of 2 Kids Reason for Latest Recall in Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois
Blanket Recalled By Minnesota-Based Target Due to Death of 2 Children
Check your Christmas gifts and stash of blankets in your kids' rooms. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission website, Target Corporation, has recalled over 200,000 Pillowfort Weighted Blankets. Unfortunately, a 4-year-old girl and a 6-year-old girl became entrapped in the blanket and died. Two other reports of kids being trapped were also reported.
Details about the product being recalled according to cpsc.gov:
- REASON FOR RECALL: A 4-year-old girl and a 6-year-old girl reportedly became entrapped in the cover of the weighted blanket and died due to asphyxia at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina in April 2022. Two other reports of entrapment were also made.
- BLANKETS THAT ARE PART OF THE RECALL: The Pillowfort Weighted Blankets weigh 6 pounds, measures 60 inches long and 40 inches wide. They also have a washable cover that is removable. The following prints were available and are part of the recall: unicorn white, space navy, pink, blue, gray, buffalo plaid red, blue constellation, and unicorn pink.
- Item numbers 097-02-0140 (Unicorn - White), 097-02-0148 (Space Navy), 097-02-0361(Pink), 097-02-0363 (Blue), 097-02-0364 (Gray), 097-02-1603 (Buffalo Plaid – Red), 097-02-3904 (Blue Constellation) and 097-02-3905 (Unicorn – Pink) are printed on the fabric tag attached to the removable covers of the blankets.
- The recalled product was sold at Target stores as well as www.target.com between December 2018 and September 2022 for $40.
What to do if you have the Target product that is part of the latest recall
Consumers who notice that they have the product recalled are urged to stop using it immediately. They can then contact Target for a refund in one of the following ways:
- 800-440-0680 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. CT daily to receive a prepaid return label to return the blankets by mail
- return to any Target store.