High Profile Rochester Murder Trial Postponed
Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - A Rochester murder trial that is expected to attract a lot of news media coverage has been delayed.
The trial for 25-year-old Alexander Weiss had been scheduled to begin next month. It has now been moved to November. Olmsted County Attorney Mark Ostrem says the defense asked the court for an extension as additional forensic tests are being conducted. A pretrial hearing has been scheduled Nov. 15th. Jury selection is scheduled to begin November 19.
Weiss was charged with 2nd-degree murder in the January shooting death of 17-year-old Muhammed Rahim. Police say the two got into a confrontation after the teenager’s car slid off the road and collided with Weiss’ vehicle after he stopped to see if help was needed. Police say an escalating verbal exchange ended when Weiss shot Rahim in the chest at close range. Weiss, who had a permit to carry a gun, remained at the scene and told police the shooting was in self-defense.
Get local and national news on the go. Download our News-Talk 1340 KROC-AM App http://krocam.com/app/ – available on Apple and Android devices.