Marine That Died On Coast Of Japan Returns To MN Thursday, 6/24
Earlier this month, a Minnesota Marine body was recovered off the coast of Okinawa, Japan.
Corporal Eric Niss-De Jesus and three other Marines were swimming when they were caught by a rip current. Unfortunately, 24-year-old Niss-de Jesus did not return to shore.
The Mountain Lake native returned to US soil on June 12th. Now, he will return home to Minnesota tomorrow, 6/24.
Minnesotans across Southern Minnesota plan to line up across highway 169 (from MSP airport to Mankato) and highway 60 (from Lake Crystal to Mountain Lake) to pay respect to Niss-de Jesus and his family.
Niss-de Jesus will arrive at MSP airport at 1:51 pm. Around 3 pm, Marines and Patriot Guard Riders will depart from the cities.
Corporal Eric Niss-De Jesus's Route Homeward VIA Highway 169:
- Eden Prairie - 3:00 pm - Anderson Lakes Parkway. Wait on the sidewalk on the bridge overpass. There is parking at Jerry’s Foods.
- Shakopee - 3:10 - Marschall Road. Wait on the fenced pedestrian sidewalk at the bridge. There is mall parking on both sides of the bridge.
- Jordan - 3:15 - 2nd St W/282. Park on Frontage Rd/Syndicate St on the southbound side of the intersection.
- Belle Plaine - 3:25 - Veterans Memorial Park.
- Le Sueur - 3:30 - Wolf Motors.
- St. Peter - 4- Minnesota Ave. Wait on the southbound side of Minnesota Ave.
- Mankato - 4:10 - Range St between W Lind St & Webster Ave. If you need directions or have questions, call Keith Haskell at 507-835-9155.
Corporal Eric Niss-De Jesus's Route And Stops Homeward VIA Highway 60:
- Lake Crystal - 4:20 - Hwy 60 between Collis “C” Store and Kevin’s Market.
- Madelia - 4:30 - Camping World
- St. James - 4:45 - The escort will enter St. James at the 2nd exit (by Casey's and Super 8). They will then turn left at the fairgrounds onto 7th Ave South, then left onto 1st Ave, proceeding past Memorial Park, and back out to HWY 60.
- Butterfield -4:55- Casey's and NAM
- Mountain Lake - 5
Visitation will be from 1-8 pm on Friday, June 25th, at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church of Mountain Lake.
An honor ceremony and service will be held at 4:30 pm on Saturday, June 26th, at Mountain Lake High School gymnasium.
For more information, visit his mother's Facebook page.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for his family.