Owatonna Hockey Celebrates Success at Award Banquets
The Owatonna High School hockey teams had plenty of reasons to celebrate their 2021 seasons during recent banquets. Each squad advanced to the section semifinals. Both teams also extended their streaks of seasons with winning records. And each played through their entire season with minimal interruption due to COVID. Boys coach Josh Storm said he was very pleased that the team "had the opportunity to complete our season" while not all other teams did.
At the recent girls hockey banquet, seniors Anna Herzog, Lauren Borgerding, Grace Wolfe and Sydney Hunst were recognized as All-State Academic and Big Nine Scholar Athletes.
Hunst, Wolfe, Herzog, Ezra Oien, Olivia Herzog and Samantha Bogen made Big 9 All Conference. Lillian Hunst and Ava Wolfe earned Honorable Mention.
- Ava Wolfe, Most Valuable Player
- Ezra Oien and Olivia Herzog, Offensive Players of the Year
- Grace Wolfe, Defensive Player of the Year
- CJ Frear-Boerner, Most Improved Player
- Molly Achterkirch, The Husky Award
- Izzy Radel, Rookie of the Year
Grace Wolfe, who will play college hockey at St. Cloud State, also earned All-State Honorable Mention.
The Owatonna girls went 16-4, beating Dodge County in the first round of sections before falling to Farmington in the semifinals.
The OHS boys had a 13-5-1 season, beating Farmington in a home section playoff game before coming up short at Lakeville North in what Storm called the best game against the Panthers in over ten years.
Big Nine All-Conference representatives include Wyatt Oldefendt, Casey Johnson, Dom Valento, Zach Kubicek and Tanner Stendel. Big Nine Scholar Athletes include Kubicek and Sam Sampson.
- Most Valuable Senior (Lee Harra Award) - Zach Kubicek
- Dedication, Hustle, Teamwork (Ken Austin Award) - Aaron Bangs
- Team Above Self (Ken Wilcox Award) - Joseph Bellomy
- Most Improved (Dudley Otto Award) - Sam Sampson
- Hobey Baker Character Award - Zach Kubicek
Seniors for the 2020-21 Huskies are Sam Sampson, Zach Kubicek, Wyatt Oldefendt, Casey Johnson, Dom Valento, Aaron Bangs, Brody Homan, Joseph Bellomy and True Gieseke. Storm said he was "very lucky to have coached this group." He said this was the first group of players that began their squirts career as he came started as the varsity coach.
No easier way to add $10,000 to your bank account. Listen to this station to WIN CASH.