The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has announced it will no longer be accepting self-payment envelopes within Minnesota state parks, state recreation areas, and state forest campgrounds.

The DNR has announced that a new mobile payment option will allow visitors to purchase firewood or one-day vehicle permits in state parks, and pay state forest camping fees. This option will also improve security and reduce the risk of self-payment envelope theft.

The free Yodel app is available in the Apple App Store and the Google Play App Store. Outdoor enthusiasts simply need to download the app and then create a profile to get started.

KQCL Power 96 logo
Get our free mobile app

The DNR created a helpful video explaining how to use the new app to purchase firewood.

The DNR also provided a guide to payment options that are available in different locations throughout the state:

State Parks and Recreation Areas

  • Vehicle permits: One-day and year-round vehicle permits are available at park offices when they are open. If the office is closed, a QR sign nearby will direct you to purchase your permit online. With cell signal and WiFi access unpredictable, it is strongly recommended that visitors buy permits before leaving home. One-day vehicle permits are also available through Yodel, however year-round permits are not available through the app.
  • Firewood: Firewood is available for $8 per bundle at most park offices when they are open. Visitors can check the park's "Amenities" web page to be sure. Keep in mind that not all parks sell firewood and if you need to bring firewood in from outside the park, DNR guidelines on firewood must be followed. To use the Yodel app to purchase firewood, just open the app, search for "firewood," and then select "MN State Park Firewood" and proceed with payment. This is especially handy if the park office is closed.
  • Ice: Ice is available in the summer at many park offices when they are open. Ice is not sold online. If the office is closed, you will need to bring ice from home or purchase it outside the park.
  • Overnight reservations: Camping and lodging reservations are required for all overnight stays, year-round. You can make an online reservation the same day as your arrival, or up to 120 days in advance. Reservations can also be made via the call center at 866-857-2757. Keep in mind that reservations are not available through Yodel.

Campgrounds In State Forests

  • State forest campgrounds do not require state park vehicle permits and do not sell firewood or ice.
  • State forest campgrounds do not take reservations as all sites are first-come, first-served. However, you can use the Yodel app to pay your campsite fee or you can also follow the instructions on signs in the campground to mail in your fee after your stay.

There is certainly an abundance of Minnesota state parks, state recreation areas, and state forest campgrounds to enjoy year-round and the DNR does a great job to make utilizing them as easy as possible.

Quiz: Do you know your state insect?

Stacker has used a variety of sources to compile a list of the official state insect(s) of each U.S. state, as well as their unique characteristics. Read on to see if you can guess which insect(s) represent your state. 
KQCL Power 96 logo
Get our free mobile app

States with the most registered hunters

Stacker analyzed data from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to determine which states have the most registered hunters. Read on to see how your state ranks on Stacker’s list.

More From KQCL Power 96