Zumbrota-Mazeppa Girls Avenge Loss to Goodhue and Other Scores
The Minnesota Basketball News #20 Class 2A Zumbrota-Mazeppa Cougars defeated #3 Class 1A Goodhue 50-45 in the Wildcats gym Tuesday night. The victory avenged a 66-53 loss December 18th in Zumbrota. In that loss Cougars 6'1 junior Ali Hunstad was held in check. In Goodhue, Hunstad came through with six three point baskets and poured in 25 points. Senior Megan Johnson added 10 for the Wildcats.
Goodhue Head Coach Josh Wieme told KDHL before the game he was concerned because his Wildcats had not played in awhile either in practice or a game. Zumbrota-Mazeppa was coming off a runaway win Monday against Dover-Eyota. The rust evidently came through at the free throw line where Goodhue was 8 or 20 and Zumbrota-Mazeppa was 2 of 4. The halftime score was Zumbrota-Mazeppa 26 Goodhue 21.
In the December game the Wildcats moved the ball with precision and looked very impressive. 6'3 post Lexie Lodermeier's interior passing was particularly good. In Tuesday's game at Goodhue the Wildcats had three players in double figures and one on the doorstep. As evidenced by the free throw shooting statistics the Wildcats got to the line but were unable to cash in.
Goodhue had very balanced scoring. Arianna Thomforde 11 points, Joslyn Carlson 11 points, Lexie Lodermeier 10 points and Kate Opsahl 9 points.
The win pulled Zumbrota-Mazeppa closer to Goodhue in the race for the Hiawatha Valley League Blue Division title. The Cougars are 7-3 in the league, 15-5 overall and Goodhue fell to 9-2 in the conference and 17-4 overall.
The Wildcats head to #4 Class 1A ranked Grand Meadow Friday for a game that will more than likely determine the top seed in Section 1A. Grand Meadow defeated Lanesboro 66-29 to remain undefeated. The game will be on KDHL Radio 920 AM and the KDHL Radio app beginning 7:00 p.m.
In another great H-V-L girls basketball game Tuesday Kasson-Mantorville beat rival Byron 75-73 in overtime. It was a boys/girls doubleheader at the Bears Cave that ended in regulation tied at 63. The difference in the game was at the free throw line where the KoMets were 20 of 30 and the Bears 7 or 8.
KoMets point guard Bailey Berge led the way with 18 points, Aby Schubert had 17, Ellie Bigelow 12 and Mya Suess 10 points. For Byron, Sacia Vanderpool finished with 17 points, Lexi Glynn 16, Danielle Fede 16, Courtney Connelly 14 points.
Kasson-Mantorville led at the half 37-35 in the thriller.
In other girls basketball games Tuesday:
- Rochester John Marshall 68 Austin 52 (Rocket freshman Lily Meister 23 points, 12 rebounds)
- Rochester Mayo 75 Winona 49
- Farmington 71 Prior Lake 42
- Lakeville South 68 Shakopee 59
- Lakeville North 74 Burnsville 70
- Rosemount 57 Eastview 45
- Apple Valley 48 Eagan 38
- New Prague 60 Orono 43
- Caledonia 89 Spring Grove 51
- Stewartville 81 Pine Island 49
- Fillmore Central 61 Rushford-Peterson 48
- Grand Meadow 66 Lanesboro 29
- Hayfield 57 Blooming Prairie 43
The Hayfield Vikings boys defeated Blooming Prairie Tuesay in a hard fought 67-62 battle. Senior Mason Tapp had 22 points, Patrick Towey 17, Luke Dudycha 10 and Ethan Slaathaug 10 points for the Vikings.
The Awesome Blossoms scoring was keyed by Gabe Hagen's 23 points. Kaden Thomas tallied 14 and Karson Vigeland had 11 points.
Blooming Prairie was 10 of 15 at the free throw line and Hayfield 9 of 16. The Vikings led 31-18 at the half.
Other boys basketball action Tuesday:
- Zumbrota-Mazeppa 54 Goodhue 37
- Stewartville 69 Pine Island 53
- Kasson-Mantorville 54 Byron 50
- New Prague 64 Orono 37
- Shakopee 75 Lakeville South 60
- Eastview 74 Rosemount 57
- Prior Lake 60 Farmington 42
- Lakeville North 102 Burnsville 73
- Eagan 80 Apple Valley 56
- Rushford-Peterson 69 Fillmore Central 42
- Grand Meadow 67 Mabel-Canton 52
Boys hockey results Tuesday:
- Austin 4 Albert Lea 2
- Mankato East 6 Mankato West 1
- St. Paul Johnson 8 Rochester John Marshall 2
- Winona 11 Black River Falls 4
- New Prague 3 Mound Westonka 3
- Simley 5 Red Wing 4
- Eastview 4 Shakopee 0
- Lakeville North 5 Farmington 2
- Eagan 5 Lakeville South 2
- Prior Lake 6 Burnsville 0
- Dodge County 9 Legacy Christian 0
Area Wrestling results:
- Grand Meadow/Leroy-Ostrander/Southland 59 St. Charles 23
- Dover-Eyota 55 St. Charles 22
- Dover-Eyota 38 GMLOS 33
- Kasson-Mantorville 67 Stewartville 6
- K-W vs Westfield was cancelled