Get our free mobile app

Rochester, MN (KROC-AM News) - An autopsy has determined the recent death of a well-known Scottish singer and actor in Rochester was caused by the inhalation of a chemical compound most commonly used in industrial processes.

The southern Minnesota Regional Medical Examiners Office has ruled the death of 41-year-old Darius Campbell Danesh was accidental and due to respiratory failure from inhaling chloroethane, which is also known as ethyl chloride. According to the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention, Chloroethane is used medicinally as "a mild topical anesthetic to numb the skin." The CDC also says the compound was previously used as a general anesthetic during major surgery but it was discontinued because of the risk of accidental death.

Danesh was found dead inside his residence at the Berkman Apartments near St. Marys Hospital on August 11. Rochester police indicated they were sent to the residence to conduct a welfare check.

The Olivier Awards With Mastercard - Red Carpet Arrivals
(Photo by Anthony Harvey/Getty Images)
loading...

He became famous in Great Britain and Europe when he finished as the runner-up in the 2002 "Pop Idol" TV talent contest created by Simon Cowell. 10 years later, he was named the winner of another British TV talent competition called Popstar to Operastar. The Scottish singer's career included recording two albums that both made the top 40 in Britain. He also performed on stage in a number of West End plays and wrote a book.

12 Celebrities Who Have Been Patients at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota

When you are one of the best hospitals in the world, you are going to attract some celebrities. The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota has seen quite a few throughout its history.

More From KQCL Power 96