Bethlehem Academy Volleyball Flies into Subsection Quarters
The Faribault Bethlehem Academy Cardinals dispatched the Lyle/Pacelli Athletics in 53 minutes tonight to advance to the Section 1A West Subsection Quarterfinals on Thursday. Scores were 25-14, 25-8, 25-9.
The Cardinals were never challenged in the match. The only thing the Bethlehem Academy coaches probably were not too excited about were the 9 service errors by the team.
Senior Lexi Boyd led the Cardinals offensive attack with 10 kills according to our unofficial KDHL statistics. Freshman Kate Trump had 6 kills and senior Haley Lang 5 kills in the three set match.
Lang received our Malecha's Auto Body "Crunch Time Kill of the Match" selection and joined libero junior Brianna Raddatz and Boyd as our Faribault State Farm Insurance agents Faribault players of the match courtesy of Faribault State Farm agents Tony Langerud and Jason Krohn.
The Athletics were a senior dominated team with 7 seniors playing their final high school match. As evidenced by the scores offense was at a premium for Lyle/Pacelli with two kills in the first set, two kills in the second set and two kills in the third set.
I counted 13 Athletics errors in the first set, 10 in the second, 8 in the third. The Cardinals finished with 9 errors in the first set, 5 in the second, 5 in the third.
Coach Chris Bothun said following the match the Chaska Tournament her team attended over the weekend gave them some "excellent competition heading into the playoffs. The speed of the game is much faster so when our girls face this level of competition it's like slow motion to them."
The Cardinals will travel to Grand Meadow Thursday to play the #3 seed Super Larks. Bethlehem Academy is the #6 seed. The BA record improved to 12-16 which is a bit misleading because they play a number of Class 3A and 2A teams during the regular season. Grand Meadow is 22-11.
The match will be broadcast on POWER 96 Radio, 95.9 FM and the POWER 96 app worldwide.
In other Section 1A volleyball tonight there were upsets if you go by the seeds.
Section 1A West Subsection
- #9 seed Leroy-Ostrander edged #8 Blooming Prairie in five sets. Blooming Prairie won first set 25-8, Leroy-Ostrander second 25-22, Blooming Prairie third set 25-22 before Leroy-Ostrander captured 25-20 and 15-12 wins. The Cardinals will play at Kenyon-Wanamingo Thursday on KDHL Radio, 920 AM and KDHL app worldwide.
- #5 seed Hayfield swept #12 Glenville-Emmons 25-8, 25-8, 25-14.
- #10 seed Southland defeats #7 Randolph, Randolph won first set 25-19 then Southland reeled off 25-13, 25-21, 25-21. Southland is at Medford Thursday night.
- #5 Hayfield sweeps #12 Glenville-Emmons 25-8, 25-8, 25-14.
Section 1A East Subsection
- #9 seed Rushford-Peterson over #8 Lanesboro 3-2 (no scores reported)
- #5 seed Spring Grove swept #12 Houston 25-14, 25-18, 25-16
- #6 seed Wabasha-Kellogg sweeps #11 Schaeffer Academy 25-17, 25-20, 25-14
- #7 seed Chatfield over #10 Kingsland 25-18, 25-21, 25-23