Construction Update: New Owatonna High School ‘On Budget & On Time’
Don't believe growth stops during a long Minnesota winter. The new Owatonna High School experienced plenty of change as "the long winter did not halt construction," according to Director of Facilities and Infrastructure Bob Olson in an update available through the Owatonna Public School May e-newsletter.
He writes, "If you have not driven by the site on 18th Street SE lately, you may be surprised to see the progress that has taken place." He reminds residents that they may visit the school district's www.isd761.org website for regular photo updates and drone video footage of the site. Then click on New High School for the latest.
Olson states, "Currently, on the three-story west side of the building, exterior walls are framed up, the roof is being installed, windows are being framed, underground plumbing and electrical work is started, and exterior wall sheathing is being installed."
The gymnasium is forming. Stadium grandstand bleachers are going up. Baseball and softball dugout installation is scheduled along with putting up lights for multi-purpose fields and tennis courts on the campus.
"Our new high school has come a long way since the beginning of construction last summer," Olson thanks Wold Architects & Engineers and Kraus-Anderson Construction for "keeping our project on time and on budget, even with the supply chain issues."
The new high school is scheduled to open in the fall of 2023. The Existing OHS Citizen's Task Force recently made recommendations to the school board on how to best utilize the current building and grounds.
Upcoming May dates to mark on your calendar from the school district newsletter:
- May 9 - Owatonna Middle School choir concert
- May 10 - Wilson Elementary track meet
- May 10 - Owatonna Middle School band concert
- May 11 - Lincoln Elementary track meet
- May 15 - OHS Jazz Band Concert
- May 16 - OMS Orchestra concert
- May 17 - OHS all ensembles concert
- May 18 - all-city track meet
- May 25 - OHS academic, scholarship, and athletic awards night
- May 27 - OHS graduation concert
- May 30 - no school, district closed