Falcons Baseball Still Alive in Section 1AAA
The Faribault Falcons defeated Kasson-Mantorville 3-1 Tuesday afternoon in Faribault to remain alive in the Elimination Bracket of Section 1AAA Baseball.
Senior left handed pitcher Hunter Nelson picked up the victory and Hudson Dillon hammered down the save with each pitcher allowing just one hit in the game.
Nelson allowed no runs while striking out 9 and walking 5 KoMets batters. Dillon pitched the last inning and a third . Nelson threw 104 pitches, 55 strikes, Dillon 18 pitches, 9 strikes.
The Falcons only had 4 hits off Kasson-Mantorville junior Noah Swarts who struck out 7 and walked 6 in taking the loss. He went the first 5 and 2/3 innings with senior Corbin Horning striking out the final batter of the 6th inning.
Swarts threw 106 pitches, 59 strikes. Horning tallied 4 pitches, 3 strikes.
Senior Brad Sartor connected for two of Faribault's hits. Seniors Aiden Tobin and Jack Knutson had the RBI. Knutson knocked in 2 runs, Tobin the other run in the low scoring affair.
In Winner's Bracket action Monday Winona rolled by Red Wing 7-1 while Byron cruised 9-1 over Stewartville.
Thursday at 5pm Faribault goes to Red Wing.
In the other Elimination Bracket game Tuesday Northfield eliminated Austin 5-2 so the Raiders are at Stewartville 5:00 p.m. Thursday.
Winners of those Elimination Bracket games go to Austin to play this Saturday at 1:30 p.m. if they win they go again at 4:30 against the Byron/Winona loser
Championship Bracket contest between Byron and Winona will be 11:00 a.m.
The winner will wait to see who survives and would have to be defeated twice in order not to advance to state with the game or games played on Wednesday, June 8, 2022.
The Elimination Bracket winner tangles with the loser of the Byron/Winona game.
In other area high school tournament baseball:
Cannon Falls Bombers had their season end with a 5-3 loss to Pine Island Tuesday evening in Cannon Falls. In Lacrescent the home team also lost to Chatfield 4-2.
- 10:00 a.m. Saturday, June 4, 2022 at Mayo Field in Rochester Winner's Bracket Plainview-Elgin-Millville vs Rochester Lourdes
- Same time at John Adams Middle School in Rochester Pine Island plays Chatfield
- Winner of Pine Island game will play loser of Lourdes game at 1:00 p.m. Saturday at Mayo Field.
- The victor in the Pem/Lourdes game has one win to make it to state.
- The final is scheduled for Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at Mayo Field 5:00 p.m. and game to follow if necessary
Section 1AAAA Brackets have never been on the MSHSL website.
Memorial Day New Ulm defeated LeSueur-Henderson 13-1. Belle Plaine 2 Maple River 0. Sibley East 13 Blue Earth Area 3.
- Thursday, 5:00 p.m. Sibley East at NRHEG
- Thursday, 5:00 p.m. Belle Plaine at New Ulm
- Thursday, 5:00 p.m. LeSueur-Henderson at Maple River
- Thursday, 5:00 p.m. Minnesota Valley Lutheran at Blue Earth Area
- Remaining games would be Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday with those in Gaylord.
Games Tuesday were thrillers top seed Randolph edged Mayer Lutheran 6-5 while New Life Academy of Woodbury defeated Legacy Christian 2-1.
- Randolph hosts New Life Academy in Winner's bracket 1:00 p.m. Saturday with winner needing one more victory to go to State Tournament. The victor would play Noon on June 9, 2022 at University of Northwestern in Roseville.
- Other games are June 2 in Elimination Bracket, June 4th also.
Did you enjoy your school cafeteria food?