Faribault Girls Tennis Ends Regular Season Today
The Faribault Falcons girls tennis team hosts Mankato East today in their final Big Nine Conference match of the season. The Falcons have not had any team victories this season but they are still having fun playing their sport and enjoying each other.
Saturday the Falcons fell to the Winona Winhawks 7-0 at the high school tennis courts and Tuesday they travelled to Mankato West and the Scarlets also came out on top 7-0.
In the Big Nine Rochester Mayo is 10-0 followed by Rochester Century 9-1. The top 5 teams have winning records. The bottom 5 teams losing records among the 12 schools in the conference.
On Tuesday Head Coach Jeff Anderson says his team played a good Mankato West team but accomplished some exciting tennis.
Anderson says, "Lindsay Rauenhorst Played #4 singles and played a very solid two sets. Lindsay had some consistent play along with good ball placement around the court. She also had great hustle and effort to stay in the points. This match was the longest match for varsity due to many long rallies and great point. The final score Natalie Zarn over Rauenhorst 6-4, 6-3."
Anderson also stated, "Bailey Peterson and Avery Rein teamed up at #2 doubles and also had a great match. They covered the court well and placed the ball well. They also had great anticipation, allowing them to be better prepared for the ball and shots. They did well to control many of the points, but in the end also came up a bit short with West winning 7-5, 6-3."
Anderson concluded, "Nell Gibbs and Ashley Rost teamed up at #3 doubles to play together for the first time. They also were covering the court well. Ashley has great hustle on the court allowing her to get to many balls and Nell did well to cover the baseline. Although the West team played better winning 6-3, 6-2."
Here were the results from Tuesday at Mankato West:
- #1 Singles Lauryn Douglas, (11) MW over Kyle Petricka (12) 6-0, 6-0
- #2 Singles Payton Douglas, (9) MW over Stacie Petricka (9) 6-1, 6-2
- #3 Singles McKenna Schazzer (10) MW over Hailey Reuvers (9) 6-0, 6-0
- #4 Singles Natalie Zarn (11) MW over Lindsay Rauenhorst (9) 6-4, 6-3
- #1 Doubles Ellie Kim, Anna Egeland (both 12) MW defeated Rylie Starkson, Sarah McColley (both 12) 6-2, 6-2
- #2 Doubles Lillian Schmidt (11), Julia Uhlman (10) downed Bailey Peterson, Avery Rein (both 12) 7-5, 6-3
- #3 Doubles Ella Betters (10), Kahle Downs (11) over Ashley Rost (12), Nell Gibbs (8) 6-3, 6-2
Todd Rost shared some pictures from the Winona match.
NEXT UP: Which is Your Favorite MN Sports Venue?