Faribault Lakers Roll Past Veseli Warriors
The Faribault Lakers blew open a close game in Veseli Sunday to win 8-1. Egan Bonde recorded the win for the Lakers and Joey Grote closed out the game.
Faribault took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning when Matt Lane smacked a solo home run. The Lakers would score again in the 6th inning on a two out Matt Lane single plating Danny Pierce.
Veseli's only run came in the bottom of the 6th inning when Drew Picka was walked to start the inning. He was sacrificed to second on a bunt by Beau Brantner. With two outs Nathan Picka singled to right to score Drew Picka. The score was 2-1.
In the top of the 8th inning the Lakers erupted for 5 runs thanks in part to errors by the Warriors and timely hitting. Joey Grote opened the inning by getting on base due to an error. Nate Rost walked.
Matt Lane hammered the ball to third base forcing Grote out at third. Aiden Tobin went in to run for Lane. Nick Rost grounded out to first base advancing Tobin and Nate Rost to second and third base.
With two outs Jack Jandro stroked a grounder resulting in a error that allowed two runs to score. Mitch Johnson comes in to hit for Dylan Valentyn and hits a single placing runners at first and second base.
Ryan Archambault walks to load the bases. Blake Langerud is hit by a pitch scoring another run. Danny Pierce hits a ground ball resulting in another error allowing two more runs to score making it 7-1.
Nate Rost clubbed a opposite field solo home run on a 0-1 count to start the top of the 9th inning.
Bonde allowed 4 hits in 7 innings on the hill with 1 earned run, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts. Grote worked the final two innings allowing 0 runs with 3 hits, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts. Bonde threw 83 pitches, 56 strikes. Grote tallied 35 pitches, 21 strikes.
Faribault finished the game with 10 hits and a error. Veseli had 7 hits and 3 errors.
Matt Lane and Dylan Valentyn were the only Lakers with multi-hit games. Each had 2 hits. Six other Faribault batters recorded a hit.
For Veseli Beau Brantner got 2 hits. Nathan Picka was on the mound the first 7 innings allowing 8 hits, 3 earned runs with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts. He threw 97 pitches, 67 strikes. Jackson Jirik threw the final two innings with 2 hits allowed, 5 runs, 1 earned, 1 walk, no strikeouts. He threw 35 pitches, 20 strikes.
Faribault is 14-8 following a 3-0 record since returning from the 4th of July holiday break. The Lakers travel to River Falls, Wisconsin Wednesday for a 7:30 p.m. game.
The Warriors are 3-18, travel to Union Hill Friday.
Here are other results from DRS League action Sunday:
- Webster 1 St. Benedict 0 Winning Pitcher Peter Tveite, Saints with 2 hits, Sox 5 hits
- St. Patrick 7 Prior Lake Mudcats 6 11 innings
- Montgomery 10 Shakopee Coyotes 0
- Union Hill 12 Lonsdale 7 Bulldogs come from behind while scoring 8 runs in the 6th inning which included a grand slam by Conrad Masberg.
- Northfield 5 New Market 4
- Elko 4 Rochester Royals 0 at Mayo Field
Other area Amateur Baseball scores:
- Owatonna 2 Winona 1 10 innings First game
- Winona 5 Owatonna 0 7 innings Second game of doubleheader in Winona
- Hastings 7 Lake City 5
- Hampton 5 Dundas 1
- Waterville 15 Jordan 2 (5 innings) Brewers filled in for Fairmont in 3rd place game then defeated Sartell 8-6 for Coors Classic Tournament Championship
- Bird Island 5 Wanamingo 0 Consolation Championship of Jordan Baseball Tournament
- These are reported scores. Teams don't even update their Twitter or Facebook pages. Why have them? Miesville website has 2020 information. Most teams don't list scores on their website. Do they think every fan can make it to every game?
There are some awesome stories here.
CHECK IT OUT: 100 sports records and the stories behind them
Check this out. Did you live in any of these communities?
LOOK: Here is the richest town in each state