Fire Prevention Week Tip Stay Fire Safe
The National Fire Protection Association sponsors Fire Prevention Week each year. Today's fire safety tip is about being ready in case of a fire emergency. Minnesota fire departments responded last year to more than 250,000 emergency calls.
Fire experts say families may have as little as two to three minutes to escape a house fire. That means seconds can literally save lives.
Here are some NFPA tips to stay fire safe:
- Pay attention in the kitchen. If you leave the kitchen, turn off the stove. Kitchen fires are the top fires in the home.
- Keep anything combustible at least three feet from space heaters, wood stoves or fireplaces.
- Practice your family escape plan and make sure everyone knows where to meet following a fire.
- Have working smoke alarms in your home. Test them monthly, change the batteries twice a year.
- Keep candles away from combustibles and never leave candles unattended.