State Pledges Disaster Relief Funds To SE MN
St. Paul, MN (KROC-AM News) - Several southern Minnesota counties will receive aid from the state of Minnesota to help efforts to recover from severe storm damage incurred this past summer.
According to a release from the office of Governor Tim Walz, Gov. Walz sent a letter authorizing the use of funds from the state Disaster Assistance Contingency Account to assist many counties in Southern Minnesota including Fillmore, Dodge, Houston, Wabasha, Winona, Blue Earth, Cottonwood and Le Sueur for the damage occurred from July 16-20th after strong winds and severe storms worked through the area.
After a damage assessment by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety’s Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management showed the damage was warranted, the state will cover 75 percent of the eligible costs from the Disaster Assistance Contingency Account, with local governments covering the remaining 25 percent.
“This has been a tough year for many Minnesotans who are working to rebuild and recover after significant storm damage,” said Governor Walz. “Our neighbors in Southern Minnesota were hit particularly hard by a series of severe storms that crushed public infrastructure and slowed local economies. That’s why we’re authorizing funds from our state’s disaster assistance account to offset the burden for Minnesotans while they work to make their communities whole again.”