Behold: The Edible Glass Potato Chip
Potato chips are pretty perfect. They are a hue of yellow or maybe white, crunchy, and have some salt on them. There is no greater snack for munching on while you are watching the Olympics, or pairing with you lunchtime sandwich. Well forget everything you ever knew about potato chips because there are now CLEAR potato chips. It's like the crystal Pepsi but better.
(Video Credit: Food & Wine via Youtube)
Making the chips involves potato stock, potato starch, and a slow-dried gel. The first couple of steps are pretty easy, but know that this process involves large doses of patience to make it work. The last few steps require that you dehydrate the gel and then deep fry the chips in oil. It's worth it when they turn out like this.
Here is the recipe for 'glass potato chips';
Baked Potato Stock
8 Yukon gold potatoes
½ cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 liter of hot water (95 C, not boiling)
1. Wash the potatoes under cold water and dry with paper towel. Cut into the skin of each potato 1 cm. Toss the potatoes with ½ cup of olive and season with the salt.
Bake for 25 minutes at 450 F.
2. Remove from oven and place the baked potatoes in a bowl with 1 litre of hot water (95 C, slightly cooler than boiling temperature), cover it and let it sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
3.Strain the mixture with a fine strainer, reserving the baked potato stock. Chill stock in preparation for next step.
Baked Potato Gel
4 tablespoons potato starch
2 cups of baked potato stock
1. Put chilled baked potato stock into a pot and whisk in the potato starch. Continue whisking the starch and stock together and bring it to boil, forming a gel. Remove from heat.
2. Drying: Spread the potato gel on a sheet of parchment paper. The gel should be about 3 mm thick. Dry in the oven at 135 F for 2 hours until fully dry.
3. Frying: Break the dried sheet into irregular pieces about the size of playing card. Fry these potato chips at 350 F until clear and crisp. Remove and place on paper towel, then season with kosher salt.