Donation Tips for National Blood Donor Month
UNDATED (WJON News) - January is National Blood Donor Month.
An estimated 29,000 units of blood are needed every day in the U.S.
The American Red Cross has helped streamline the process of making a blood donation with an app available for free from Google Play or the App Store. Once downloaded, the app will direct a donor to the nearest blood donation center or mobile event.
Blood Donation Facts from the American Red Cross:
- Blood is needed every two seconds in the U.S.
- Approximately 29,000 units of red blood are needed every day nationwide.
- Nearly 5,000 units of platelets and 6,500 units of plasma are needed daily.
- A single-car accident victim can need more than 100 units of blood.
- “Type O” blood is the most requested blood type.
The Red Cross says a single donation can save more than one life. For more information on how to volunteer, find the American Red Cross here.