No Fear Factors in for These Steele County Fairgoers
A few turned and hightailed it away from the tank filled with mealworms and cockroaches. But many, many others reached into the teeming mass of insects to search for a small prize. Meanwhile, over 7,000 attendees grabbed a picture with Steely, an eight-foot, fourth-pound boa constrictor.
The Happy Tails corner was a destination for many visitors to the Steele County Free Fair in Owatonna. Pet store owner Barry Benjamin was nearly hoarse Sunday evening from chatting with throngs of people in his second year of bringing reptiles, snakes, insects, and a tarantula from his store in the Medford Outlet Center to the Great Outdoors Center.
He says kids were quick to embrace, or be embraced by, the exotic animals, "We actually had a three-year-old yesterday that I tied her around five times. It was a great picture."
"We have kind of a double reaction. Some stay away. Others just want to hold her forever. They realize that she's cool. So, on these hot days, it makes it really, really nice."
Fairgoers could touch and feed tortoises and bearded dragons. Benjamin said the animals ate way more than their normal dietary intake, essentially just like the humans that were feeding them.
"We brought our little test-your-limit box. So, we have 20,000 insects. But underneath those are shark teeth you can keep and bring home." He went through more than five pounds of shark teeth and lost track of how many dug into the insects. Benjamin said one parent held their two-year-over the tank so the child could dig through the bugs, including mealworms and cockroaches.
Benjamin says Steely, the boa constrictor is "a picky eater. She wants rats. She won't eat rabbits, which at her size she should eat. But she wants rats instead, so we comfort her with those." But no cheese curds.
Don't Hike These 5 Haunted Minnesota Trails Alone
LOOK: Home 12 Miles from Rochester Has River View from Every Window!
- Main floor living with a river view from all the main living spaces!
- Enjoy the four-season porch with stunning views and a gas-burning fireplace to enjoy regardless of the temperatures outside.
- A newly updated kitchen and main floor living is an open concept with a masonry wood-burning, high efficient fireplace in the living area.
- Open kitchen/dining/living room - three bedrooms on the main.
- Primary Bedroom is large, with sliding glass doors to the outside, a walk-in shower, and a walk-in closet with lots of storage.
- The architectural lines in the home add beauty and interest. Attached is an oversized 3-car attached garage. If you want a quiet retreat at the end of the day, this could be your next home.
- It sits on a small cul de sac with an excellent view/access and lots of green space.