Rice County Construction Season Starts Soon
The Rice County Highway Department construction season is nearly here. Seven projects are highlighted this year.
They include shutting off the drive across Lyndale Avenue at the intersection with 4th Street Northwest in Faribault due to a number of accidents over the years.
The Rice County Highway Department descriptions:
- CSAH 48 (Lyndale Avenue) and 4th Street Intersection Improvements- Construction of a "3/4" intersection" to improve safety at the intersection. Improvements include concrete median, curb and gutter, over-head lighting, storm sewer, minor grading, bituminous mill and overlay, pavement markings. Improvements will eliminate thru-and left-turns from 4th Street. Single lane closures, shoulder closures and short-term intersection closures will be required to facilitate construction. Traffic control devices and signage will guide the traveling public. Construction is anticipated to begin in June and be completed in July, weather permitting.
- CSAH 76 (Acorn Trail/Baseline Road)- Construction of the reconstruction of 2.1 miles between CSAH 9 and CSAH 8 from 2019. Work in 2020 includes: miscellaneous grading, turf establishment, bituminous paving, shouldering and pavement markings. The project is scheduled to be complete July 25, 2020, weather permitting.
- CSAH 46 (Bagley Avenue)- Continuation of the realignment of 1,640 feet of CSAH 46 at the intersection with Minnesota Highway 19. Work in 2020 includes miscellaneous grading, shouldering, turf establishment and overhead lighting. The project is anticipated to be complete in August 2020, weather permitting.
- CSAH 46 (Bagley Avenue)- Reconstruction of 2.6 miles of CSAH 46 from the roundabout at CSAH 1 to approximately 1,640 feet south of Minnesota Highway 19. Work includes grading, culvert extensions, concrete pavement, bituminous shoulders, turf establishment, signage and pavement markings. The roadway will be closed to thru traffic and a detour route will be posted. Work may begin on or after May 4, 2020 and is anticipated to be completed on or before October 24, 2020.
- CR 98, Steele County CSAH 13 and CSAH 32 (270th St. E)- Mill, reclamation and bituminous surfacing, shoulder widening and pavement markings on approximately 10.75 miles between CSAH 21 (Cabot Avenue) and the Goodhue County line. The roadway will be open to traffic, however, single lane closures and travel delay should be expected. Resurfacing work is anticipated to begin in June and be completed in September. Steele County will be replacing culverts on Steele County 13 in advance of the pavement resurfacing project, beginning in May. The roadway will be closed to thru traffic and detour routes will be posted during the culvert replacement.
- CSAH 1 (100th St. W), CSAH 8 (130th St. E), CSAH 18 (Appleton and Baseline Road) and CSAH 19 (Glynview Trail)- Bituminous overlay or mill and overlay of CSAH 1 from Le Sueur County line to CSAH 4, CSAH 8 from CR 77 to Minnesota Highway 3, CSAH 18 from CSAH 15 to 17th Street Southwest, Faribault and CSAH 19 from CSAH 45 to the end of the urban section in Faribault. The roadway will be open to traffic, however single lane closures and travel delay should be expected. A construction start date has not been determined, however work is anticipated to be complete in September, 2020.
- Culvert Replacements and Rehabilitation on CR 64 (150th St. W), CSAH 15 (150th Street West) and CSAH 22 (Falk Trail)- Replace or rehabilitate existing culverts for future pavement resurfacing projects or maintenance needs. Daily road closures, travel delays and the use of alternate routes should be expected. Work scheduled to begin in April and be completed in August.
- Pavement overlays and patching, miscellaneous culvert replacements, pavement striping, pavement crack sealing and other maintenance projects requiring temporary road closures at various locations throughout the County are planned for the duration of the construction season.
A construction project location map is available on the Rice County website.